While making my morning Monkey Salad (my favorite Whole30 breakfast of all time) in the kitchen at work a while back, a co-worker struck up conversation. Her eyes lit up at the banana/cashew/coconut combo, and I was more than happy to tell her a bit about what I was eating and why I was eating it. Then she dropped the Banana Bomb on me: BANANA. ICE CREAM.
It was my turn for eyes to light up as she told me how simple, healthy and delicious it was – and that it keeps her ice cream loving husband happy while cutting out the calories. I recreated this immediately after dinner that evening, and we now permanently have a Ziploc bag of frozen bananas in the freezer at all times … mostly for my ice cream monster, Mr. Denton. A quick look around Pinterest (and a sighting of the unbeknownst-to-me Yonanas machine at my local Costco) lead me to realize this was not the revelation I thought it was, but a wondrous discovery nonetheless! I told my co-worker a few weeks later how awesome she and her recipe were – and (bonus!) I have a new friendly face at work that brightens my day when we bump into each other now and again in the common area.
Our most recent encounter resulted in me learning a bit more about her, and prompted this post several months after our initial and informal introduction. As we passed each other in the kitchen, she told me she had sent me an email and gave me a mysterious smile. When I got back to my desk, there was information about a race she’d be participating in – The Biggest Loser 10K! A big ol’ grin crossed my face as I read the details. Not only did she have healthy food secrets, but she was also on her own personal fitness journey. I shot a quick reply with sincere words of admiration and encouragement and she let me in a little more: she’s working toward a weight loss goal of 100 lbs, with a goal of 40 but by the end of the year. 100 pounds! I was so inspired and felt honored that she shared her personal goals with me. I also learned that she participated in the Avon Walk this year and is training toward doing the full 39.2 miles next year. What a kick in the ass and great motivation for this Paleo Putterer. I’m plotting my next personal challenge as we speak – er, type … read … whatever.
Isn’t it silly (yet awesome) that such a small common bond can foster a deeper connection?
Banana Buddies “Ice Cream”
- 3-4 frozen bananas (for the love of god, peel bananas before freezing!)
- food processor or blender (you do not need a special machine for this no matter what Yonanas’ R&D/marketing/sale price/whathaveyou tells you)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- dash of nutmeg OR get WiLD & CRAZY with a bit of cocoa powder!
- Let the frozen bananas soften ever so slightly on your counter before trying to process/blend them or you’ll almost break your machine (lesson learned).
- Add desired ingredients and whip them into smooth, creamy, guilt-free goodness.
Latest posts by Dorothy (see all)
- The Time Has Come, My Little Friends, To Talk of Other Things - 16 March, 2015
- Dorothy’s Whole30: FULL RECAP - 20 August, 2014
- Dorothy’s Whole30: Days 26-30 - 19 August, 2014
- Dorothy’s Whole30: Days 20-25 - 18 August, 2014
- Dorothy’s Whole30: Days 16-19 - 9 August, 2014