Dorothy’s Whole30: Days 2 & 3 Rewind

First time visiting? Not super familiar with the Whole30 Timeline? Check this out, and know that it is right on point: WITNESS.

Being groggy and grumpy and generally lacking energy, I don’t have a bunch of pretty pictures or witticisms for you in this post. I envy Jeanie and her decision to eat clean for a few days prior to starting our Whole30 so this phase didn’t hit her like a ton of bricks. Dorothy was not as smart, which seems to be a pattern in our relationship. I gorged myself over the weekend, was SO READY to tackle Day 1, but paid for my indiscretions over the last 2 days.

Day 2

Tuesday wasn’t a terrible day, but I wasn’t at the top of my game either. I didn’t get any awful headaches, thank you Whole30 Gods. I woke up fuzzy and moving even slower than I usually do in the morning. Think: Slow Loris (this critter is clearly not on board with paleo while eating his little rice ball, but he’s too darn cute).

I had lunch plans with my Dad before he went out of town, which we scheduled early for 11:30. Early lunch plans + not cooking at home = black coffee for breakfast. Probably not the model Whole30er, just keepin’ it real.

Lunch was at a restaurant (gasp!) and I stayed totally compliant! Do you have a “build your own stir fry” in your neck of the woods? I’ve seen several in my travels and I’m willing to bet a quick Google will find you one! I met my dad at Mighty Khan’s which is a little neighborhood spot here in Northern Virginia. You’re able to load up your bowl with whatever you want: there’s an abundance of meats, seafood, eggs, veggies, spices and sauces. BEWARE THE SAUCE! There’s no telling what’s in that stuff, even if you grill a staff member they likely won’t know every single ingredient. I went with garlic water … doesn’t sound super appealing when I write it out, but I assure you it’s a great flavor enhancer. Just make sure you don’t have any meetings afterwards – we aren’t allowed to chew gum or have mints, remember??

I slowly made it through the work day and was ready to meet Jeanie for our small business bootcamp with Femworking in DC. Oh crap, that’s a meeting where I’m reeking of garlic, right? CHOOSE WISELY, GRASSHOPPERS. I was able to muster up the energy to chat with the different consultants about our goals at the bootcamp but was glad when it was over – not because I wasn’t enjoying myself, just due to the fact my pillows and Netflix had been calling my name for about 3 hours already.

Jeanie and I grabbed a bite to eat at ANOTHER(!) restaurant after the workshop, fully knowing that cooking was not going to be enjoyable once we got back to Virginia at 10:30 P.M. Thank goodness for tasty grilled chicken and olive medleys. If you think I didn’t pass right out when I finally made it home, you probably haven’t experienced Day 2 of the Whole30.

Day 3

Happy Hump Day! Bah, humbug. Still fuzzy and slow, a bit cranky. SORE from Monday’s Body Pump class – much more so than I was the day before. My food choices weren’t anything exciting at the beginning of Day 3 – in fact they were both repeats of previous meals. Monkey Salad again for breakfast (you’ll see this is a pattern with me until I hit the “energy” phase and start making gorgeous breakfasts like Jeanie with French Press coffee in a couple weeks instead of grabbing it at the office). Lunch was the same tuna salad from Monday (Day 1).

BUT THEN. I GOT A WIN. Miss Melissa Joulwan (look her up immediately) commented on our blog. If that doesn’t put a spring in your Whole30 Day 3 step, you might be doomed. It was a great pick me up, and I (almost) bounced off to Zumba after work.

Class was really tough to get through. It was an intense class to begin with, but getting through it the way I was feeling made it even more difficult. The Timeline suggests that we take it easy the first few days while our body is healing, but you may have read that I’m leading a routine in class for a couple more weeks – so I’m not letting my Zumba momma down – time to man up!

When I got home I made myself a quick a delicious dinner – and cause I love ya’ll so much, I’ll post my results separately in just a bit. ;)

After dinner I relaxed with a long phone conversation that was a much needed catch-up, painted my nails an energizing yellow, made another cup of the Red Tea, and snuggled into bed with my two critters. Just as I sat on the edge of the bed, my FitBit bracelet “celebrated” (vibrating and flashing LEDs) that I had hit my 10,000 step goal for the day – it’s the small victories, people. I’m hoping this sluggish, grumpy phase has run its course and I’ll be back to my chipper self in no time …. but according to the Timeline, it’s just not meant to be.

Do you usually experience The Hangover or are you a smart, lucky duck like Jeanie?

The following two tabs change content below.


Book hoarder. Red lipstick aficionado. Compulsive shopper. Crazy cat lady. Adores alliteration; couldn't give a @$%& about an Oxford Comma.

Comments 3

  1. Pingback: Jeanie’s Whole30 Day 4 Rewind | PALEO iN PUMPS

    1. Post

Anyone ... anyone?